Sunday, April 17, 2011

Big Week

This week has been a really big week for us and I am one proud Mama!!!

First of all, when I was in Boise I was talking to my mom who told me that she was sure that Jacoby could be potty trained. I guess I just needed a little bit of reassurance because as soon as she said it I started making a plan. We talked in Boise that as soon as we got back to Chicago we were going to wear underwear and no more diapers. As soon as we walked in the door from the airport Jacoby told me that he needed to go potty and since then we have not looked back. No more diapers for Jacoby!!! We had a great day the first day. The second day was a little more challenging and on the third day I called my mom to tell her how much I hate potty training! We had three accidents before 9 am but much to my surprise we haven't had one again. The last three days he has done amazing! I am so proud of him!!

This week Jacoby said his first prayer all by himself. He has been copying what I say for a while but the other day he wanted to do it all by himself. It was really cute. It was the fourth prayer over lunch that day. He likes to make sure the food is really blessed. Then he said, Dear Heavenly Father, bless the food, name of Jesus AMEN! It was really funny!

Today while we were at church we went out to go to the bathroom for the third time during sacrament. When we were going back in Jacoby announced that he wanted to go to nursery. I said ok and just testing out the waters I asked him if he would like to go by himself today so Mama could go to her class too. He said sure. Then he proceeded to talk about it the rest of church and when sacrament was over we walked to nursery and after about 2 minutes he gave me a kiss and told me bye, bye Mama. I was a little stunned so I stood closer to the door for a minute talking to Steph and he seemed just fine. I walked out the door and watched him through the window. He wasn't even phased. He was busy playing with the other kids. I checked on him a few times and every time I did he was busy playing and watching over Ty who was upset. He was always right next to him when I looked in. Sweet boy. Anyway, when I came back to get him after Sunday school, he was so happy to see me and then told me he needed to go potty. We went potty but then he wanted to stay with Mama so instead of going back in we came home. The whole way out to the car and home he told me all about class. He told me he was very busy. He told me he didn't cry but he missed me. He told me Ty was sad and that he wanted his Mama. He told me that he wanted his Mama but then I came and picked him up. I told him that I was so proud of him! I told him that I missed him too. I thanked him for letting me go to class today and for being such a good boy and he told me "No problem, Mama!". Seriously how funny is that!

Sometimes I am reminded that this little boy knows so much. I struggled with nursery for a long time but then I decided that it wasn't worth the fight. I let him decide when he was ready and today for some reason was the day. This afternoon I looked at Jarod and said "How many times am I going to have to learn that when he is ready, he is ready". Jacoby's is just like that. Out of the blue he will decide he is comfortable with something and there is no looking back. We had three big things happen this week that he was ready for and I am one proud Mama of my growing boy- who swears he is still a baby!

3 comments:

Jim Domeny said...

Yeah!!! I am always so impressed with the connection that you have with him. He is a sweetheart. Heavenly Father knoew who would be the best parents for him and sent him to you and Jarod. You are both great and I admire you both. He is lucky to have both of you. And you are both lucky to have him. I love each of you and want you to know that. He is growing up!

Unknown said...

YEAH!!! He is getting so big. I can't believe all of the things that he decided he was going to start doing all in a week. Crazy. Loved seeing you guys and can't wait for next time. Love you.

Steph said...

LOVE how sweet he was with Ty! You have such a special little guy on your hands! And YAY for the potty!